Seeking License Reinstatement? Here’s What You Need to Know About SR-22 Insurance and DUI.

Seeking License Reinstatement? Here’s What You Need to Know About SR-22 Insurance and DUI.

Seeking License Reinstatement? Here’s What You Need to Know About SR-22 Insurance and DUI.

Written by:

Published by:


There are a variety of reasons that your driver’s license may be suspended or revoked. In order to get your license reinstated, you will have to provide proof of liability insurance with a form called SR-22, obtainable from your insurance agent. Liability insurance protects you, the insured, by covering damage to other people and their property if you are at fault in an accident. The minimum amount of required liability auto insurance you have to purchase varies by state.

License Suspension or Revocation
To determine the reason or reasons for your license being suspended or revoked, refer to the letter from the Driver’s License Bureau. You can also consult your current driver record, where the reason(s) will be listed as department actions. You should plan to submit an SR-22 form if your license was suspended or revoked due to a DUI; failure to submit to alcohol or blood test; failure to show proof of insurance; use of a fake insurance card; having been in an accident while uninsured, resulting in a court action against you; administrative alcohol suspension, when it is not a first-time offense; or accumulation of too many points on your driving record for moving violations that aren’t alcohol related.

The SR-22 Form
Most states’ Departments of Motor Vehicles require the SR-22 form, also known as a financial responsibility filing or certificate of insurance, in the above cases. You can plan to file the SR-22 for two years for most of these violations, or for three years if the violation involved fake insurance or failure to show proof of insurance. If you are not able to immediately get your full driving privileges back, you can apply for a hardship license with limited driving privileges. This allows you to drive for pre-approved reasons such as for employment or other important situations. You will need to file the SR-22 in this case as well. Your insurance agent can file the SR-22 form for you after you purchase the liability insurance. In Missouri, they will file the form for you with the Driver’s License Bureau in Jefferson City, Missouri.

To get your license reinstated you will also have to pay a fee, which varies depending on the cause for the suspension or revocation, in addition to any fees or court costs that you owe. Depending on the situation, there may be other reinstatement requirements; for example, for a DUI, you will have to show proof of completing the SATOP (Substance Abuse Traffic Offenders Program). For unpaid speeding tickets, you will have to show proof of payment. If you recently plead guilty to traffic violations, a skilled lawyer may be able to negotiate a plea bargain and amend the ticket to a non-moving, zero-point infraction.

Do you have a traffic ticket or DUI/DWI that you need handled? Get a lawyer that’s licensed in both Illinois and Missouri. Call: 314.499.4040 or visit

Leave a Reply